Saturday, March 30, 2013

David Anointed King

Student Choice Assignment #2: 2 Samuel 1-10
David Anointed King

1. Search 2 Samuel 1-10 and make a list of King David's accomplishments.

  • slays the man who killed King Saul
  • anointed King over Judah
  • all tribes commit to follow David
  • made King over Israel
  • defeats Philistines
  • brings ark into the city of David
  • destroys many nations during war & makes them be under Israel control
  • restores lost lands to Saul's grandson Mephibosheth
  • defeats children of Ammon & Syrians 

2. Read 1 Chron. 22:7-8 & Institute manual "Why was David not allowed to build a temple?". Write explanation of why the Lord did not want David to build a temple.

The Lord told David through Nathan that he was not to build a temple because of all the wars that he had been involved in and the great bloodshed he had seen.  So even though David was a great leader and did good things for his people and the land, he had seen and done too much to be clean and pure to build a temple unto the Lord.

3. Read 2 Samuel 7:12-17. Write sentences describing how I would feel in a similar situation. Describe how 2 Samuel 7:16 is a Messianic prophecy.  Read 2 Samuel 7:18-29 and summarize David's response to the Lord's message to him.

So the Lord had just told David that he was not to build a temple.  I think in a similar situation I would have felt disappointed and confused wondering why I was not being given the chance to do something wonderful since I am a righteous person.  (Actually I have had these feelings!  When my husband and I were trying so hard to get pregnant, I would question all the time why I was not able to get pregnant and raise a family when I was doing what was right and living correct principles.  I learned a valuable lesson from this time.  I needed to be patient and things would come to me in the Lord's time.)  2 Samuel 7:16 is a Messianic prophecy because it talks about how David's house and kingdom would be established and reign forever.  This was not something that David personally would fulfill but rather Jesus Christ who came through the line of David.  David's response to the Lord telling him not to build a temple was to tell the Lord all that he appreciated and had learned from Him and to tell the Lord to complete those promises He had made.  He said that he understand  that God was God and that he, David, was a servant.  That God was all-knowing and that God had the power to make things great.

No comments:

Post a Comment